Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hope, Faith, Courage, Strength

Hope, Faith, Courage, Strength. That's what it says on the pink bracelet on my wrist. It was given to me by a woman at church who is battling breast cancer currently. Cancer just stinks. Especially when it happens to someone far too young.

For the second week in a row, we will be attending a funeral. A friend and coworkers wife, 42, mother of a beautiful 7 year old girl, passed away from breast cancer on Sunday. She was first diagnosed while pregnant with her daughter and postponed treatment until after she was born. She battled for 7 years. So tonight, I made a contribution to the Susan G. Komen foundation in her memory. Such a small thing to do in the hopes that something so big will come from it - a cure.

So here's my challenge to each of you for today - do you know someone who has been touched by breast cancer? Visit the Susan G. Komen website TODAY and make a contribution in memory or in celebration of someone you care for. Leave a comment here that you
are a supporter, share a special story if you'd like, to inspire and encourage others. We'll read through them and I'll let the "two peas" choose a few - we'll send you a pink key fob. To hold your keys, the key to your heart, to hold in your hand, to grab onto tightly, to think pink in honor of someone special in your life. For me today, it's in memory of Kristine, in celebration of Kaitlyn.

And so, life goes on. We pause, we pray, we hope, we have faith, we ask for courage and strength.

One thing that I love to do is to create. It calms me, satisfies me, fills me. It's a constant in my life.

Yesterday I made this backpack, my St. Mary backpack. Named for where I used to live in Montana. I lived in the St. Mary district of Glacier National Park.
This bag was a custom design from one of my parties, designed by Jill.

And for this Sunday, I have another party. The hostess gifts until February are aprons - this one is reversible. I'm still hammering out the final designs I will be using when I introduce these to the Spring line in March.

Make today a great day - a day full of color, a good joke, and good friends.

4 comments:

Kris said...

Trish, You are right in that cancer is a terrible thing! I am sorry to hear about your friend another victim taken way to soon. I lost my mom to cancer in 1985, she was only 52. My grandmother survived breast cancer and is now 98! I hope I have her genes. KUDOS to Canal for raising over $118,000 for the American Cancer Society in the 2008 Relay For Life. It shows what can happen when we all pull together for the same cause - a little town of 5000 can raise a lot of money! It was my last year being chair for it, so it was a nice way to go out! If anyone is interested in walking a 5K to help raise money for breast cancer they can sign up to be on my Making Strides team (an American Cancer Society walk held on October 4 at Cosi) Just go to www.acsevents.org/makingstrides/columbus and sign up to walk with the CWrelayers! Together we can make a difference and find a CURE!

Love ya,
Kris Sims

Jill said...

You are right Trish, cancer is an awful thing that unfortunately effects everyone.

My mother is an ovarian cancer survivor and this month of September is National Ovarian Cancer Month. Throughout the month she's been volunteering at different events to help spread the word about Ovarian Cancer.

It's truly amazing how this cancer, like others, just sneaks up on you and before you know it, you are diagnosed as stage 3, you have had 8 rounds of chemo, a surgery to remove all of the cancer, you are in recovery for 8 weeks and you still have pain. She had a lot of trouble throughout her battle and it truly helped her to be surrounded my positive people and prayers. I know that isn't the cure but it gives people the strength that they need when their body isn't feeding it to them.

The Walk for the Whisper is this weekend. It's a small but very powerful walk that continues to grow year to year. It's a family that understands what everyone is going through. Just being there and showing your support means so much to the survivors and the current patients.

My mom will be there this year and we are hoping that she'll be able to finish the walk. Last year she had just had a chemo treatment the week before and was very weak. She walked a good portion of it before she had to sit but this year she is much stronger! We will all be by her side cheering her on!

Cancer sucks and it's very sad to hear about the people that it effects but you must surround them with love and strength because they may not always have it themselves.

On a side note, I LOVE MY BAG!!!! I can't wait to see it in person! I'm so thrilled at the way it turned out! Hopefully it wasn't as challenging as Jen's St. Mary's bag! :)

Two Peas in a Pod Homegrown Designs said...

You girls amaze me! Kris, maybe Canal can take some credit for the relay success BUT you are largely responsible for the big win there. The strength I see in other women truly encourages me every day. As we drove to this funeral today, I read your comments to my husband and we were both really uplifted by you all. Thanks

Kris said...

Hopeful #1 -
Ovarian cancer is a tough one! That is what my mom died of after a 9 month battle. SO, reading your story brings back a lot of memories. It sounds like your mom is a fighter and is trying to kick it's BUTT! I will think of her this weekend while she is honored as a survivor. I know those walks mean a lot to survivors and it gives them courage to face the days ahead with their love ones right beside them!
.... may we all pray that we never have to hear those words "you have cancer!"